[NIFL-FOBASICS:836] Use of Non-Native Language

From: Barbara Garner (barbara_garner@worlded.org)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 10:25:36 EST

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:25:36 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Barbara Garner" <barbara_garner@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:836] Use of Non-Native Language

"One finding of the What Works study was that "judicious use of the
native
language made a difference in both reading and oral skill acquisition
as shown
by results on standardized tests." (p. 3, "Conversation with FOB: What
Works
for Adult ESL" Focus on Basics, Vol. 6, Issue C, Sept. 2003). I'm
interested
in what data was collected on this matter and how it was determined
that it
was native language use that made the difference rather than other
variables
or other variables in concert with native language use in class. Could
you
give an example of how much native language use by teachers and
learners in
class seemed to affect the results on standardized tests? What are the

ramifications for curriculum development, classroom management, and
professional development?"

 I'm curious to know how many teachers out there combine native
language use with English in the ESOL classroom, and what your
experiences are
with this particular technique.  Any takers?

RESPONSE:
	I've only seen one program that combines native language
literacy with English communication skills in the same class and this
seemed to work pretty well. It makes sense as an approach since it
allows students to pick up basic literacy in a language they understand
while at the same time giving them a chance to learn the kind of every
day English that many learners want.

	There are other programs where students get to take classes side
by side (native language literacy and ESL) but this can be a bit
problematic since they will have to deal with two print systems (in
terms of sound/symbol relationships) and that can be confusing and hard
on the brain

	Most programs that offer native language literacy offer a course
or two in native language literacy and then transition learners to ESL
literacy (we don't have numbers I'm afraid since the Dpt of Ed does not
track native language literacy classes).

	A few programs offer a bilingual model where students have a
chance to move from native language literacy to the GED in Spanish and
then are simultaneously enrolled in ESL classes.  Some of these programs
use the materials developed through INEA (instituto nacional de la
educacion de los adultos) which are available from the Mexican
consulate. These materials allow students to be certified for primary
and secundary education.

	Interestingly enough, these materials (and others that have been
used in literacy campaigns in Cuba and Nicaragua, for example) are much
more school-based that adult education in the U.S. That is there is very
little focus on functional life skills (such as the English needed for
shopping or reading a bus schedule) and a much greater focus on content
knowledge (health, housing, education). And since literacy is being
taught in a language students already speak and understand, it is
possible to discuss issues and analyze what is happening and why in a
given community and how things may need to change.

	This is probably more than you all wanted to know - but if it
isn't, I'll be happy to pick the topic back up.

	By the way, I need to clarify that the What works in adult ESL
literacy study did NOT look at native language literacy - it only looked
at classes where some of  the teachers used the native language of  the
students in the class here and there.

	I'd love to hear from others how they handle the use of  the
native language by students or by the teacher?  Do you have certain
strategies that you use?  Certain "rules" for yous students (that you or
the students have set)

	cheers

	Heide