[NIFL-FOBASICS:811] Re: Question on prison curriculum

From: Margery Freeman (freemannola@cox.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 10:56:07 EDT

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:07 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Margery Freeman <freemannola@cox.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:811] Re: Question on prison curriculum

Dear Barb,
I was excited to learn that your current issue of Focus on Basics has an article on "Writing as Healing."  You may remember from Lou Johnson's and my piece about YES! in last Spring's Focus on Basics that one of the centerpieces of the program is a "New Writers' Voice" project.  I wonder if you might want to devote an entire edition to students as new writers - especially focusing on how writing not only offers personal healing but also motivates students to stay the course in their studies; and most of all, it gives students a sense of their own power to function in the world.
I hope all is well with you.  Lou and I will be using Focus on Basics in our day-long preconference on "Literacy and Racism" at the upcoming ProLiteracy Worldwide conference in Washington, D.C. next month.  We are most grateful to you for giving us the opportunity to tell our story!

Also, FYI, I now serve as ProLiteracy's regional services system coordinator - an exciting new venture that we hope will ensure good communication between state literacy/ABE organizatons and the national staff/board.  It's part-time, right now, which leaves me ample time to continue my work with The People's Institue for Survival and Beyond, promoting anti-racist organizing and training across the country.
The People's Institute is doing a lot of work in Boston these days.  Check out our website: www.thepeoplesinstitute.org and let me know if you and some of your colleagues would be interested in attending an Undoing Racism workshop in the area.
Best regards,
Margery
Margery Freeman
ProLiteracy America Field Services Coordinator
4635 Banks Street
New Orleans LA 70119
(504) 482-0334; cell: (504) 813-2368