[NIFL-FOBASICS:852] RE: Teacher's Resources Exchange

From: Virginia Tardaewether (tarv@chemeketa.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:46:11 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:46:11 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Virginia Tardaewether" <tarv@chemeketa.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-fobasics@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FOBASICS:852] RE: Teacher's Resources Exchange

Jennifer
What I have noticed in 30 + years of instruction is:  if the students
are learning how to think, their test scores improve; if they have
practice with basic skills tied to life/career/work/children their test
scores improve.  If the standardized test you are using is a life skills
or work skills based test (such as CASAS), it will link to what your
students are interested in and/or goals they have for themselves. When
the measurement tool is linked to the lives of our students, the scores
improve as the students gain confidence and improve skills.
va