National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] Re: [NIFL-4EFF:2718] Leaving NIFL- a message from Sondra Stein

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 11:44:42 EST 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Sondra Stein's role in conceiving and developing Equipped for the
Future (EFF) has been vitally important to the adult literacy education
field, and has been one of the major contributions of the National
Institute for Literacy. EFF and the Literacy Information and
Communications System (LINCS) are the two long-term initiatives for
which the National Institute for Literacy is best known, and which have
had the greatest national impact on moving our field forward towards
excellence in practice.

I am glad to hear that Sondra will continue to work with EFF, and I
hope that other national organizations will have the vision to support
EFF's continued growth in staff development and assessment. The
investment which the NIFL has made in EFF has been sound. It has
brought EFF to the point where several states have formally adopted it,
and other states and programs also are using EFF. Several states are
using the standards to invest in creating the EFF work readiness
credential. Assessment instruments will be created which are aligned to
EFF standards. Although I am disappointed that the National Institute
for Literacy will let Sondra leave, and apparently is not interested in
continuing to support Equipped for the Future, I think the standards
are so important to the field, and have a sufficiently strong foothold
in the states, that Equipped For the Future can continue without the
support of the NIFL.

I would like to thank Sondra for the extraordinary work she has done
for our field, first in Massachusetts, and over more than a decade,
nationally.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net