National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] Drago-Severson to present

Jennifer Roloff roloffje at gse.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 25 10:40:25 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,
Just a reminder:
The Adult Learning and Development Group at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education invites you to
please join us THIS Friday, October 29, 2004 from 12 to 2 pm in Larsen G06 on Appian Way for a
talk by Dr. Eleanor Drago-Severson.

Ellie Drago-Severson will present on her second book, Becoming Adult Learners: Principles and
Practices for Effective Development, published by Teachers College press (2004).

In this book, Drago-Severson (2004):
· explores adult learning and development at a particular workplace education site through the
lens of Robert Kegan’s (1982, 1994) constructive-developmental theory.
· draws from a NCSALL study (Kegan, Broderick, Drago-Severson, Helsing, Popp, & Portnow, 2001) and
investigates how adult learners “make sense of their learning experiences and their lives” (
Drago-Severson, 2004, p. 3).
· asserts: “In this book I present the voices of people not unlike my grandparents in their
courageous pursuit of their dreams. Many are immigrants trying to become fluent enough to sing
their songs in English; all are learners wanting to improve their literacy so as to expand their
lives” (Drago-Severson, 2004, p. 2).

This event is hosted by the HGSE Adult Learning and Development Group and funded by HGSE’s Office
of Student Affairs and Student Government Association.

All are welcome. We invite teachers, learners, researchers, and policymakers to join in this
event.

Pizza, salad and soda will be served.

If you have questions, please contact Jenni Roloff Welch (roloffje at gse.harvard.edu) or Kat
DiTommaso (ditommka at gse.harvard.edu)