National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] Fwd: need for mobile computer lab

Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson varshna at grandecom.net
Wed Aug 25 20:01:20 EDT 2004

Slightly off-topic, but I'd like to suggest folks look at Cameron County
Workforce Development Board. Their "Mobile Workforce Resource Lab" is
slightly different -- they're not exactly operating a mobile classroom --
but the technical and logistical considerations, in my opinion, remain the
same. Additionally, workforce boards are invested in updating the skills,
including literacy skills, of their customers.

The handout to a presentation they recently gave at the Texas Workforce
Commission Quarterly Workforce Forum outlines their approach and lists the
key personnel involved:

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/twcinfo/qwfconf/outline.pdf

Another interesting collaboration I would point out is between the Bill
Priest Institute (Dallas, TX), Texadelphia Restaurants (Dallas), and Rosetta
Stone. The owner of this restaurant chain is making laptops available to
employees during down times to log on and use Rosetta Stone to develop their
English language proficiency. The restaurants have been fitted with wireless
connections. If anyone is interested in knowing more, I'd be happy to send
you contact information. The employer addressed key employee concerns by
tapping into distance learning: access (especially transportation to attend
school-based courses), flexibility to study at convenient times (split
shifts are common in this industry), and the ability to study at one's own
pace (i.e., not be limited to an academic calendar). This project just
started.

on 8/24/04 3:33 PM, Diane Foucar-Szocki, Ed.D. at foucardl at jmu.edu wrote:

> Dr. Shirely Merlin at James Madison received funding from the

> National Workplace Literacy grants in 1988 to pioneer a

> mobile lab which operates to this day. Kentucky has mobile

> labs. With wireless internet and laptop decks we do not

> necessarily need all of the mobile elements from previous

> programs, but protablre computer "decks" that can be

> transported, easily set up and taken down, to provide

> programming in varied work settings. This is a delivery model

> that has great promise for both adult ed and ESOL. Diane

>>> lab/library.

>>> Although I do not teach ESL in a workplace setting,

>>> I'm certain that there is a large demand for classes

>>> in many companies and factories which cannot be met

>>> under normal circumstances.

>>> At the same time, there is a growing number of FREE

>>> computer courses that could be made available to

>>> various work places by means of a mobile lab, which

>>> could also lend books, audio and video tapes.

>>> It stands to reason that many companies would be

>>> interested in providing some funding for such a

>>> project.

>>> www.pumarosa.com, and its success is a good indication