National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] workplace educator training question

Jenny Lee Utech jennyu at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 8 14:43:46 EDT 2004

Here's information about one new resource for workplace educator training:
Workplace Educator Training: A Guide to Creating Worker-Centered Education
Programs, developed by the Massachusetts Worker Education Roundtable.
Workplace Educator Training contains over 60 professional development
activities for teachers, program coordinators and others, new to the field
or experienced, who want to learn more about workplace education. There are
over 100 handouts accompanying the activities, and also a Readings
Collection. Activities focus on workplace education in unionized work
sites, but the manual can also be used for programs at non-unionized work
sites, workforce development programs and other settings.

Workplace Educator Training can be used to create professional development
workshops ranging from a few hours to whole-day or even week-long workshops.
Handouts and readings can be used as resources in themselves. The manual
focuses on basic skills workplace education (ESOL and ABE), but many
activities can be adapted for pre-employment programs or higher education
preparation. The manual has five sections: Overview; Workplace Needs
Analysis; Labor-Management Setting; Classrooms and Curriculum; and
Assessment and Evaluation.

To view a description of Workplace Educator Training and sample activities,
and to obtain an order form, you can visit the Roundtable website,
www.umass.edu/roundtable. I hope this is helpful.