National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] Literacy President

jataylor jataylor at utk.edu
Fri May 14 09:27:15 EDT 2004

=============================
Literacy President
=============================

Teachers,

An exciting new project is coming your way! In approximately one week, you
will have the opportunity to voice key adult basic education, literacy, and
ESOL concerns with Presidential candidates by answering a quick and easy
online survey and using classroom activities on how we - as an adult literacy
community - can encourage our leaders to support adult literacy.

This effort, called Literacy President, is a non-partisan, collaborative
initiative among grass roots organizers, The Change Agent, and other key
organizations to increase Presidential commitment to adult literacy regardless
of which candidate is elected.

Next week:
1) We will send out information on how to complete an online survey containing
questions from adult learners and practitioners. Everyone will be asked to
identify the 5 most important questions, and those questions will be submitted
to Presidential candidates.

2) We will include information on how to access civic education teaching
activities for the classroom, designed to assist you in addressing national
adult literacy issues using the Equipped for the Future (EFF) Citizen Role Map
and EFF Content Standards.

To learn more about incorporating elections issues into instruction, visit The
Change Agent's most recent issue "Voting in the 2004 Elections" aimed at the
adult literacy field at: http://www.nelrc.org/changeagent. In addition to
finding lots of classroom-friendly material on voting and specific national
election issues, you can also register to vote through this web site.

Please take the next few days to identify how you might share the survey with
adult learners, adult learner leaders and adult learner program volunteers,
and prepare your class for an opportunity to engage the Presidential
candidates.

Regards,

Jackie Taylor
Professional Developer

David Rosen
Adult Literacy Advocate

David Collings
Adult Literacy and Technology Network

Silja Kallenbach
New England Literacy Resource Center, publisher of The Change Agent