National Institute for Literacy

[NIFL-WORKPLACE] Workplace Incentives

Diane Gardner dgardner at utk.edu
Thu Apr 15 10:38:10 EDT 2004

Sue,

Could you provide the name of the article you mentioned in your reply?

Thank you,
Diane

At 03:31 PM 4/14/04 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Annie:

>I believe that experience over the last two decades shows that singling

>out or mandating any or certain employees for workplace education programs

>is not the way to go. This can create an atmosphere of fear and tension

>rather than one of opportunity. As you note...it is not a question of job

>performance. A better way would be to get employees to sign up for the

>classes voluntarily. Then the classes are seen as an added benefit for

>individuals rather than something threatening. Often once the initial

>group of workers sign up, others follow.

>I would direct you to a resource on good practice written by Mary Ellen

>Belfiore for the Ontario Literacy Coalition (OLC) in 2002. In this

>document, Mary Ellen has consolidated what we know about good practice in

>workplace education to date. You can download the report from the OLC

>website at www.on.literacy.ca

>under publications.

>Sue Folinsbee

>Hospitality Workers Resource Centre

>Toronto

Diane P. Gardner
EFF Professional Development and Certification Coordinator
The University of Tennessee
EFF Center for Training and Technical Assistance
Center for Literacy Studies
600 Henley Street, Suite 312
Knoxville, TN 37996-4135
865-974-9949