[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2896] RE: Repurposed media : What's available for beginning readers?

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 19:56:22 EDT

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2896] RE: Repurposed media : What's available for beginning readers?

The Oregonian newspaper has a News 101 feature every Wednesday where they
re-write a couple of stories from that day's paper in easier English and
then ask questions about them. There are also a couple of activities
encouraging people to find articles about [xxx] or to find the answers to
some questions in the newspaper. It's really geared to native literacy, but
seems like it could be used for ESL purposes as well.

I've not used it much, nor am I aware of any statistics they may have about
usage or effectiveness.

Sylvan Rainwater   .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission/Head Start
Oregon City, Oregon