[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2966] RE: What's hot in Adult Education Software?

From: Marian Thacher (mthacher@otan.us)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 13:13:13 EDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Marian Thacher" <mthacher@otan.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2966] RE: What's hot in Adult Education Software?

I agree, Nick, about the need to make integrating technology easier for
teachers. OTAN is an adult ed leadership project in California, and I
think part of my job is to be the limo driver. Sometimes I feel like I'm
trying to drive the limo down a wagon track. I'm sure we'll get better at
this in the future, as products get refined and teachers get more
comfortable. But meanwhile, one thing I'm focusing on is mentors, and
having technology mentors at programs and sites. There's no substitute,
that I've found yet, for having a person right there to help you when you
get stuck or lost or frustrated with technology. After a certain point,
you don't need that any more, but in the beginning you do.

David's sites are great examples of roadmaps and directions. The Lincs
collection is another one. But still, it all takes time, the thing we
teachers seem to have least of.

Marian