[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2959] Re: International Virtual Visits and DL

From: Ruth Duffy (ra_duffy@msn.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 12:17:53 EDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:17:53 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ruth Duffy" <ra_duffy@msn.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2959] Re: International Virtual Visits and DL

I am an ESL instructor / Technical Coordiantor at Shoreline Community College.  Our level 1 - 5 students have been required to complete 1 credit hour per quarter in our computer lab which is supported by commercial software, a website I co-developed (http://elmo.shore.ctc.edu/callab) as well as Microsoft applications, etc.  The purpose of the credit requirement has been muli-pronged:  to increase computer literacy and to improve their language skills.  As a way to better support students who have met the goals of the first requirement and / or students who have difficulty completing their hours because of family / work commitments, we developed a distance learning component.  We use developed performance-task activities using Webquest.  I have the activities linked through Blackboard.  Students are required to register during the first 3 weeks of the quarter.  In the past, we have only offered this to levels 4 - 5; however, this fall, we will be including level 3.  In addition, we will be including English For All as another option.

Ruthann Duffy
Technology Coordinator