[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2948] Re: tools for internet communication

From: David J. Rosen (DJRosen@theworld.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 23:21:03 EDT

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:21:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "David J. Rosen" <DJRosen@theworld.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2948] Re: tools for internet communication

Hello Irshat,

I mentioned project-based learning in an earlier posting.  One example
of project-based (constructivist) distance learning, which involves
matched classes, groups or schools from different countries is the
International Classroom Virtual Visit project. Susan Gaer, an ESL
instructor at Santa Anna College in Southern California, and I
developed the project in 1999.  Since then we have helped teachers and
their classes, from various countries, to match up and exchange
information about themselves and their cultures.  Students introduce
themselves, their class/school and their communities through
student-and teacher-made Web pages.  They ask each other questions
using group or individual e-mail.   Most of the classes are adult
ESL/ESOL students, but some are K-12 students, and some are adult basic
skills students.  Some of the matches have been cross-generational.
It's a great way to encourage production of writing, cultural learning,
and increased comfort and experience with the internet.  For some
(teachers and students) it's also an opportunity to learn about web
page design, including graphics.

For more information about this project, and to see the Web pages the
classes have developed since 1999. you can go to the Virtual School
Visit section of Susan's E-mail projects Web page at:
http://www.otan.us/webfarm/emailproject/school.htm

To join the 2003-2004 International Classroom Virtual Visit project, go
to:

An inexpensive platform which you might be interested exploring which
has a message board, place for posting pictures, and many other virtual
learning environment features is Community Zero
http://www.communityzero.com/

Anyone else have recommendations for Irshat?

David J. Rosen
NIFL-Technology Guest Moderator
DJRosen@theworld.com