[NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2730] "Hidden" Accessibility Settings

From: Jeff Carter (jcarter@worlded.org)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 12:29:54 EST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:29:54 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jeff Carter <jcarter@worlded.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-technology@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-TECHNOLOGY:2730] "Hidden" Accessibility Settings

Folks,

A February 16 article in the Boston Globe on assistive technology in
the workplace made this interesting point:

> [S]ometimes, helpful technologies can be hidden from even the
> tech-savvy. Increasingly, computer operating systems come equipped
> with accessibility settings that control the size of the cursor to
> help those with vision problems, or provide keyboard shortcuts needed
> by people who have trouble using a mouse.
>
> Still, while doing a usability study last fall, Microsoft discovered
> that some of its own disabled employees were unaware of these
> features, said Madelyn Bryant McIntyre, head of the Accessible
> Technologies Team at Microsoft. ''We were surprised,'' she said. ''It
> means that the discoverability of these features is too low.''
I'm curious whether those on this list are aware of these features.
Which of these accessibility settings do you find useful, either as a
teacher or learner?

I've noticed that sometimes programs have a substantial investment in
some big tech product or products, but staff and learners are not
really given the chance or experience to learn effective computer
operation, such as understanding the tools built right into the
operating system that might working with the technology mush easier,
especially for the many folks who may have a disability...

Jeff

Jeff Carter
World Education
Boston, MA