[NIFL-ESL:8698] Re: schematic of vowel sounds

From: Charles Jannuzi (b_rieux@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 21:32:15 EST

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:32:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Charles Jannuzi <b_rieux@yahoo.com>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8698] Re: schematic of vowel sounds
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov

Re: schematic of vowel sounds

> Hi.  Do any of you know where I can find a
schematic of sorts "showing"
> tongue placement and mouth shape for vowel
and/or consonant sound
> production?  It'd be great if it were on the
web somewhere, but a book
> would still be a fine resource.
> Thank you.
>
> Lisa Pierce

Phonetically speaking, vowel sounds are not
typically associated with specific points of
articulation in the way consonants are. Rather,
they have traditionally been represented as
generalizations about tongue height and lip
rounding in the production of relatively
unobstructed movements of air through the vocal
tract. Still, even the simplest of vowel sounds
involves rather complex configurations and uses
of the vocal tract.

Traditonal linguistic generalizations of vowels
are often presented in the form of a trapezium or
quadrilateral superimposed on a sideview of a
schematic of the human vocal tract (with the face
looking forward toward the left--so the left side
of the diagram is the front of the mouth, the top
of the diagram is the high part of the mouth).

These diagrams fall short because vowels that
require more complex movements of the vocal
tract, such as diphthongs and triphthongs, can't
show up as one area of the diagram. And the
diagrams aren't adequate for showing other
important qualities, like nasalization,
uvularization, laryngealiation, pharyngealization
etc. Nor do such depictions show the frontal,
highly visual aspect of the vocal tract in vowel
production--the face and lips--and the degree of
liprounding.

English shows itself to be still very much a
Germanic language in that it has a lot of vowel
sounds compared to languages like Japanese.
English spelling has a lot of confusing
complexity and inconsistency in how the vowels
are represented in written form.

I have a powerpoint that a colleague and I have
made to show the vowels and vowel neutralization
in English and Japanese using an adaptation of
the traditional quadrilateral presentation (with
the caveat that English typically has more
liprounding than Japanese). I'll try to work this
into an exported graphic like a jpg and post
info. about it to the list later.

Some links which show such diagrams and discuss
in much greater detail include:

http://feminafelis.tripod.com/Lessons/1b.html

http://www.umanitoba.ca/linguistics/russell/138/2001/artic/describing-vowels.html

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dbeck/lin211/Lecture11.html

http://www.nes.coventry.ac.uk/research/cmbe/digraph.htm

http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/units/ling210-901/phonetics/vowelgraphs/AusE_Monophthongs.html

Consonants are graphically depicted as specific
points of articulation using the same sideview of
the vocal tract, but you have to remember that
humans are not really used to thinking in
specific, explicit ways about how they use the
internal aspects of their vocal tract. Also, a
diagram cluttered up with IPA symbols can just
confuse students.

A view of the face and lips is often key for EFL
and ESL students. In fact, static,
two-dimensional shots aren't as good as just
watching someone speak. I think for EFL students
this is why they improve so much in their
pronunciation when they go overseas to an
English-speaking country. They get robust
acoustic and visual feedback in the act of
speaking and communicating in the FL.

Charles Jannuzi
Fukui University, Japan