[NIFL-ESL:9377] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Nell Eckersley (nell@jchb.org)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 20:49:39 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:49:39 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Nell Eckersley" <nell@jchb.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9377] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Hello Joe and others,
Joe, you say the following:
<snip>
what are the rights, responsibilities, privileges of citizens vs legal
residents vs illegal immigrants. Do u agree that citizens should have
greater rights& responsibilities than residents and that residents have more
than illegal residents?   I know that it all depends on what services we're
speaking about, so it may not be an answerable query in this venue.   I
guess my main thrust is: there's a difference and to the extent that there
isn't a difference-- citizenship loses it's profund- ity and currency.
<snip>

I say the following in response:
Is there a difference?  Should there be a difference?  The profundity and
currency you mention...aren't those created by rules and regulations of each
country and don't they change with the whim of governments and
media/"popular" opinion?

I'm a resident but not a citizen of the US.  I'm white and my native
language is English.  If you met me on the street you would assume that I
had been born and bred in this country.  I pay taxes and can join the
military, but I cannot vote.  If my skin were a different color or my
ability to speak English not so great, I would be facing a lot more cannots.
I don't find this a matter of profundity, rather a matter of those who
*have* not wanting to share with those who appear to *havenot*.

Nell Eckersley
ESOL Program Coordinator
Brooklyn