[NIFL-ESL:9375] RE: "poem"

From: Joe Little (fyi@americanliteracy.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 18:20:16 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:20:16 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joe Little <fyi@americanliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9375] RE: "poem"

>  Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you tried to deal with the
>  problem but got very resentful and gave up. It takes time to learn a new
>  language. It seems you just got impatient. Growth appears slow, especially
>  in the beginning. If you ever go back to work with these immigrants let us
>  help you. You did learn that teaching English to immigrants in harder than
>  you expected. I admire the zeal of which you started. You should be
>  applauded for your initial efforts.

Ken & all,

thankyou for your kind words, i think. i never became "very resentful". How can u turn my authentic words of love and support into such a thing? I never gave up! How can u read that into my words? I've taken a 'leave of absense' to support my wife and 3 kids
at home in the evenings i would've been teaching. I didn't even move on. I still live in a naborhood filled with immigrants and ESL needs;  these werent even the initial efforts
of a young whippersnapper, captain. I NEVER expected it be easy;please stop trying
to superimpose your fears of this or that onto me.
>  your resentment and frustration turned into hatred. It is the same emotional

Yikes, there u go again. Turning the resentment and frustration i never even knew i had into a new-found hatred i will treasure always.

>  charge that fuels the English-Only movement. By "tuff-love" you appear to
>  recommend that if we have English-Only Laws and cut off all government
>  assistance to the immigrant than they will be motivated to learn to speak
>  English. I do not think your "tuff love" philosophy will work. On the
>  contrary, it is a recipe for disaster. These actions will motivate very
>  negative reactions and set off Civil Rights Protest similar to the 1960's.
>  Do you realize how many immigrants you will be affecting? If hatred toward
>  the immigrant is allowed to continue unchecked it will lead to a blood bath
>  of ethnic cleansing. Joe, you sound like a good guy but the answer to this
>  complex problem is not your unwise "tuff love" philosophy.

You can't have it both ways.I'm a resentful hater but a good guy. I'm at a loss for words, save for these:i appreciate your opinion and value your fear that 'english-only' will hurt a multitude of immigrants, give rise to blood bath, and lead to ethnic cleansing.   Sounds like Hitler's Nazi Fascism, yet again, to me.

Joe