[NIFL-ESL:9726] Re: family literacy evaluation

From: Mona Curtis (mcurtis@tvcc.cc)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 17:47:15 EST

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:47:15 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mona Curtis" <mcurtis@tvcc.cc>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9726] Re: family literacy evaluation

It sounds like ESPIRS (I don't know what that stands for) which was used by Even Start in the past but eventually eliminated because it was too cumbersome.  Self evaluation surveys are the most common evaluation tools for family literacy but they are, in my humble opinion, quite flawed and progress in family literacy is so complex I think it defies evaluation.  We simply don't know what exact affects our work with families have, although we do know it has an affect. Let's put it in our own context.  Say my family attends some seminar on family life.  We might not see the affects immediately and/or there might not be anything observable and measureable that happens, but we all consider the seminar a success and we have a better relationship because of it.  What scientific tool are we going to create to measure the quality of a relationship?

Mona Curtis
ESL Coordinator
Treasure Valley Community College
650 College Blvd.
Ontario, OR 97914
www.tvcc.cc
541-881-8822 x 316
fax 541-881-2747
>>> ayw@georgetown.edu 12/17/03 14:57 PM >>>
Hi,

Several years ago, when I did more work with family literacy, I learned
about an evaluation instrument that looked at the impact of family
literacy programs on the home environment (e.g., amount of literacy
resources at home, prevalence of literacy activities in the family,
etc.).  It consisted of a pre- and post-survey and a CD-ROM that helped
you analyze the data.  Does this ring a bell for anyone?  If not, can
someone suggest a similar instrument?

Thank you!

--

Albert Wat, Program Coordinator