[NIFL-ESL:9706] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 18:59:59 EST

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:59:59 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9706] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

This is an excellent point. When determining outcomes, it's important to
consider carefully from many points of view. What we found when we explored
outcomes for Family Literacy ESL a few years back (using an affinity
process) was that outcomes came out more or less along EFF lines -- that is,
including roles of worker, family member and community member. We also found
a couple more themes that ran through all of these: cultural awareness
(navigating a new landscape) and personal development (self-esteem and
self-awareness).

Students can "graduate" from our program in many different directions.
Getting a job is great, but we can't necessarily mandate that because after
all many of our students are technically not able to work legally in this
country. Certainly acquiring job skills (of all sorts, including
technological skills) can be a reasonable outcome. Even exploring job
options and learning how to fill out applications, do resumes, interviews,
etc., can be an outcome. Beginning to take classes in a community college is
another outcome we encourage -- and of course, that is in its own way a
transition to a new set of goals which could lead in all sorts of
directions. Using community resources and contributing to the community,
becoming part of the community in various ways is another large area to
explore. And, of course, a major outcome for us is to be involved with the
child(ren)'s education -- which involves interfacing with the school, doing
literacy activities at home, helping with homework, etc.

I think the goal is to provide as many options as possible for the students
to explore, and to help them find their way in to their own place in this
new world they find themselves in.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA