[NIFL-ESL:9671] health/information/Spanish

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 15:07:05 EST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:07:05 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9671] health/information/Spanish

NIFL-ESLers,

           I'd like to thank the Kansas TESOL newsletter for having
mentioned  my web page 'a su salud: health information in Spanish' .
That was a pleasant surprise.  Especially since I had recently been
mentioning it on another language listserv.  Usually the only ones who
know about it are medical librarians.

          You can see 'a su salud' @
http://www.stcc.cc.tx.us/library/guides/asusalud.htm   I thought it
would be very useful in this area because 90% of the population speaks
Spanish.  And, I wanted something that would encourage the college to
decide to offer medical Spanish as a requirement.  But, our scool will
be teaming up with Georgetown University in Washington DC to offer the
first certificate in the nation next year in 'migrant health care.'
And, 'a su salud' and the other web pages will be used in that program.

           I'm sure you have students who can use, for example, a web
page like "Medlineplus" @ www.medlineplus.gov to learn English.  And,
there's the Spanish addition also.

James Phillips, MLS
Librarian
South Texas Community College
Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
1101 East Vermont
McAllen, Texas 78501
956-683-3121
956-683-3190 (fax)