[NIFL-ESL:9665] esl/regions

From: james phillips (jphilip@tenet.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 20:24:58 EST

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:24:58 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: james phillips <jphilip@tenet.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9665] esl/regions

NIFL-ESLers,

           I'm new here.  This is my first post and inquiry.  I'd like
to know what is the first language of those you are teaching ESL?  In
this part of the world most are Spanish speakers who are learning
English.  There are many ways and places to learn English.  There are
school districts and support service groups like UMOS, for example.

            Spanish speakers here also watch television from Mexico
City, Monterrey, and local Mexican tv stations.  These stations
advertise ESL programs for those living in Mexico.  For example, there's
'Ingles sin Barreras', Harmon Hall, and Disney.  And, now, these are
being used here in tropical deep south Texas.

            There was a time when I could go to the mall and just
sitting around while Mexican tourists took a braek from shopping I could
have conversations and hear different sounds from here to Mexico City,
Oaxaca, Nayarit, and Vera Cruz, for example.  But, now, it's common to
have a willing interlocutor begin to want to practice their English.
And, they give me all the details about doing business in the USA for
their companies and they always want to emphasize to their children that
the English that they to are studying is good and useful.  Especially,
when they see their parents conversing in English.  On one occasion, I
began conversing with a young lady who began to speak to me in English
and explained that since she had studied to be an interpreter/translator
in Mexico, she always looked forward to practicing her English with a
willing interlocutor.  Which was, in this case, me.

            Also, these days in the NAFTA factories English, Spanish,
Japanese, Chinese, German, etc are important.  Companies hire teachers
to teach English to the Mexican workers, Spanish to the management, and
a third language is needed to talk to corporate offices in other
countries.

James Phillips, MLS
Librarian
South Texas Community College
Dr. Ramiro R. Casso Nursing and Allied Health Center
1101 East Vermont
McAllen, Texas 78501
956-683-3121
956-683-3190 (fax)