[NIFL-ESL:9661] RE: Standardized tests for ESL/ELL

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 19:11:02 EST

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:11:02 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9661] RE: Standardized tests for ESL/ELL

In Oregon we are using the BEST and CASAS, for the most part. Many of us are
beginning to use the new BEST-Plus, and I've used it on two students so far,
and intending to test all of my students with it soon. The CASAS I use for
reading, and it's not too bad. I have problems with the fact that "scaled
scores" don't hold true across levels, and sometimes it doesn't seem to me
that it measures progress when I can see that there is progress. But it does
give a rough idea of the reading ability of students.

We are, of course, required to do some sort of standardized testing to show
progress. What we know is that sometimes these tests don't measure real
gains made by students. So we try to have other ways to measure progress as
well. Not all of that gets reported to the state, but we try to find
meaningful, documentable things to report anyway.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA