[NIFL-ESL:9592] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

From: Cleomathew@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 01 2003 - 10:26:48 EST

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 10:26:48 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Cleomathew@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9592] RE: Dialogue/reflective journals

Hello all,

I started using journaling in my beginning ESL class when the class got
large. I wanted to know the students better individually, but there was never
enough time in class. I have since fallen in love with journaling.

Initially I tried to do dialogue journaling but it was too difficult for most
of my beginning students. Now we do a guided writing exercise, and they are
invited to write about anything that they want and I will respond.

Most only do the guided writing exercises, but a few do write pages a week
for me to read. One student likes for me to give her a list of 5 unrelated words
and then she uses them in a sentence or sentences.

I used to respond every day with comments and stickers, but it was taking too
much time. Now I respond on the weekend. The stickers are very popular,
especially my silly fish stickers. I think most feel a sense of accomplishment in
the journals, and I clearly see improvements over time and so can they.

Thanks for the ideas and discussion,
Christina L. Mathew
ESL Teacher with DeKalb Tech. Adult Ed.
Atlanta, GA