[NIFL-ESL:9412] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: ttweeton (ttweeton@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 05:04:30 EDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 05:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ttweeton" <ttweeton@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9412] Re: Accept English Only donation?

"The question is the same question: why don't these people change to become
like us? My question is: why should they? They have to figure out how to
navigate this huge change in their own way."

NO  Sylvia , immigrants do  NOT have to nagivate the system alone.  That  is
precisely why ESL classes are set up for them, to HELP them "navigate the
system."  If you look at the ESL  standards we have  developed for our
classes in our state of Florida  , all the benchmarks deal with ways to
survive in our country WHILE learning English. Our thrust is not to teach
grammer out of context any more. Our thrust is to help  immigrants to learn
HOW to live here. I am sure that most states have  very similar standards by
now which teach valuable information about our society.
Examples:
Our standards include benchmarks on:
Personal Information
Time and Money concepts
Employment issues
Health and Nutrition issues
Transportatoin and Travel
Consumer Education
Safety issues etc..
Why should anyone  NOT want the immigrants to be knowledgeable of  our way
of life and be like us??  No,  they DON"T have to "navigate the system   in
their own way". There IS help out there. Tanya