[NIFL-ESL:9402] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: ttweeton (ttweeton@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 16:29:46 EDT

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:29:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "ttweeton" <ttweeton@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9402] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Basically, would forcing  someone (especially children) to learn English (if
they live in the states) really hurt them?

 I really become upset at the thought that some of us believe that it is ok
to live here and not have to or at least TRY to learn the language. I DO
understand all the difficulties of foreigner,  But I just can't understand
why, timidly, we  even ASK this question.? It should be taken for granted
,that people coming here, will make a concerted effort to do so. Yes of
course it may be more difficult for some than for others. This is
understood,  it may take some more time than  for others, but not even to
TRY?? Why should this be thought of as acceptable??  Do we ask nothing of
these people  in return for the priviledge of being able to be here?  NO,
there is no free lunch for anybody .  I just don't believe in the "no holds
barred, anything you want to do  " theory.  It  should be A GIVEN that
people will at least make the effort! That we even ask if it is OK, says
something  about  how far the majority of the prevailing attitudes on this
line seem to be  leaning  towards the left politically. Tanya