[NIFL-ESL:9370] RE:The list and learner needs assessment

From: Lynda Terrill (lterrill@cal.org)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 16:31:21 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:31:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Lynda Terrill" <lterrill@cal.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9370] RE:The list and learner needs assessment

Dear listers,

At last count there have been about 80 exchanges regarding the important topic that started with the question about whether or not a teacher should accept donations from an "English Only" group and which has morphed in several directions since then. It's been great to see people talking again, and yes, having different points of view about ideas and policies that directly affect our work, our lives, and our society.

I'm asking everyone -yet again-to glory in our rights to free speech (if you don't use it, you lose it), but make sure before you send a posting to the list that the words you use are appropriate to the venue. It seems every so often a few people --not always the same ones-- feel the need to be adversarial in their tone and vocabulary. People can and should express ideas from all sides, but civility is necessary for productive discourse.

For the thread on learner needs assessment: The newest version of the REEP Curriculum has a whole section on learner needs assessment. You can find this section easily from the main page at http://www.arlington.k12.va.us/instruct/ctae/adult_ed/REEP/reepcurriculum/

Sincerely,

Lynda Terrill
NIFL-ESL Moderator
National Center for ESL Literacy Education
4646 40th Street NW
Washington DC 20016-1859
tel (202) 362-0700 ext. 243
fax(202) 363-7204