[NIFL-ESL:9359] RE: Accept English Only donation?

From: pruett said (said@ameritech.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 11:58:01 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:58:01 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "pruett said" <said@ameritech.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9359] RE: Accept English Only donation?

If only learning another language was as simple as wanting to. If someone
offered us a magic pill that would allow us to know another language, all of
us would take that pill. But learning another language takes time and
energy--something many immigrants don't have. I had students who worked
double shifts in meat packing plants and then came to my morning ESL class.
They could only keep this up for a couple of weeks before they quit coming
to class. Why did they work double shifts? For one thing they needed the
money. If you only get paid $6.00 an hour you have to work a lot of hours to
make ends meet and send some money back home to help the rest of your
extended family make ends meet. Also most of my students were afraid if they
refused to do anything that was asked of them they would be fired which in
many cases would have meant they were also out of status since a number of
them were here on work permits. I also had students who had health problems
caused by Chernobyl and found themselves frequently sick due to impaired
immunity. A few of my students were healthy and worked only one shift at a
different place--these students came all the time but it still took them
time to learn English.

A couple of years ago I wrote an editorial against English-Only laws. Here
are a few things I said:

Why do we need a law to convince people to speak English? We don't. New
immigrants would love to be able to speak English well. But learning another
language is not something that one can do quickly. This is all the more true
for adults who are working one or two jobs and have family responsibilities.

It seems odd to me that Republicans (a Republican candidate was sponsoring
the bill) who believe there is too much government control want to control
what language we speak or maybe even how we speak it

English-only laws are also unfunded or underfunded mandates.  There are
already programs in place at the state level but these programs have been
consistently under-funded. If legislators are truly worried about people
speaking English, then they should adequately fund those programs already in
place. (BTW, I wrote this while living in Iowa. In Michigan, where I live
now the adult education funding was cut by 80% this last year. We turned
away almost a hundred people in our fall ESL program mainly because of lack
of funding.Yet most of us teachers have around 35 students in each class.)

While some people said they agreed with me, I also received hate mail at my
home after this letter was printed in the local paper. One of the nicer
things said to me in these letters was that I should go back where I came
from. I found that interesting as I had grown up about three hours from
where I wrote this letter. But this hate mail only reinforced my belief that
English-only laws are a smokescreen for anti-immigrant sentiment. It seems
to me that nation states have a need and a right to discuss immigration
issues but why use language as the smokescreen. I also wrote and believe:

English-only laws feed into fears that those different from ourselves may be
changing our way of life. But people don't immigate here to change our way
of life but to participate in our way of life. (Perhaps, in Miami this isn't
so clear because people keep believing they will be able to go back to Cuba
soon. BTW, most people don't come to the US to improve their lives [that
rarely happens] but to improve their children's lives.)

Theresa Pruett-Said
ESL teacher
Michigan