[NIFL-ESL:9320] RE: "poem"

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 14:20:46 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:20:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9320] RE: "poem"

I too take offense to this poem. My grandparents came to New York from Cuba
in 1929. My grandfather worked many jobs to support my mom and my
grandmother. He moved to Miami in 1945. He didn't receive any tax dollars
that you meantioned in your poem. In fact, the majority of people on welfare
and who get tax support are not immigrants. The majority are single mothers
who find it hard to support their kids in today's economy. All my relatives
that came from Cuba worked hard. They did not get tax dollars, most of their
support came from family members like my grandfather who helped them get on
their own two feet. More than 50% of those living in Miami are Hispanics, so
it is only logical that it helps to be bilingual. By 2050, a third of this
country will be from Spanish-Speaking countries and perhaps by the year 2100
that number will reach half or more like it is in Miami. We should begin a
movement in this country to teach our children both languages instead of
either Spanish-only or English-only. I am a third generation Hispanic and
know only broken Spanish but I wish I listened to my grandfather who told
me, "You need to be bilingual!" Maybe we should start a political campaign
for bilingualism. That would be more productive than thinking this country
will prosper with an English-only philosophy. We live in a global economy.
If we are going to alienate others who don't speak our language, we will
become bankrupt in that economy.
-Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com