[NIFL-ESL:9316] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Joe Little (fyi@americanliteracy.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 11:54:14 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:54:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Joe Little <fyi@americanliteracy.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9316] Re: Accept English Only donation?

>  I am sure that learning the host language in any situation is always
>  > "top of
>  > the to do list".

Stacey & all,

You're sure? I'm not sure one way or the other.

>  > Not all people have the economic resources to do
>  > so. Many
>  > are too busy trying to be self sufficient to take the time to
>  > indulge in
>  > extending their education.  It is a highly classist remark to assume
>  > everyone can afford to take classes.  Even free classes come at the
>  > cost of
>  > money lost from not working those hours or paying for child care &
>  > transportation.

Who said anything about classes? Who said anything about spending money? All i've said is that IF learning the language is a priority, it'll happen by crook or by hook as in past generations.    Past generations have had plenty of disinsentives for learning new languages......One disincentive they HAVEN'T had is government funded disincentives.

You are trying to turn me into a classist.Please dont do that. I'm not trying to turn you into anything. Let's keep it above board.

Grace...and Peace,

Joe