[NIFL-ESL:9297] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Robb Scott (jayhawk76@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 17:13:49 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:13:49 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Robb Scott <jayhawk76@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9297] Re: Accept English Only donation?

A National Study of School Effectiveness for Language
Minority Students' Long-Term Academic Achievement
Final Report: Project 1.1

Principal Investigators:
Wayne P. Thomas — George Mason University
Virginia P. Collier — George Mason University

Project Period:
July 1996 - June 2001

http://crede.ucsc.edu/research/llaa/1.1_final.html

ENGLISH ACHIEVEMENT FINDINGS: Focusing first on
program comparisons, we summarize English language
learners’ long-term achievement on nationally
standardized tests (ITBS, CTBS, Stanford 9, Terra
Nova) in English Total Reading (the subtest measuring
academic problem-solving across the curriculum—math,
science, social studies, literature), for students who
entered the U.S. school district with little or no
proficiency in English in Grades K-1, and following
them to the highest grade level reached by the program
to date:

English language learners immersed in the English
mainstream because their parents refused bilingual/ESL
services showed large decreases in reading and math
achievement by Grade 5, equivalent to almost 3/4 of a
standard deviation (15 NCEs), when compared to
students who received bilingual/ESL services. The
largest number of dropouts came from this group, and
those remaining finished 11th grade at the 25th NCE
(12th percentile) on the standardized reading test.
(pp. 113-114, 122-124, Figures C-1, C-2, Tables C-1,
C-2, C-10, C-11)

When ESL content classes were provided for 2-3 years
and followed by immersion in the English mainstream,
ELL graduates ranged from the 31st to the 40th NCE
with a median of the 34th NCE (23rd percentile) by the
end of their high school years. (pp. 112-114, 126-127,
241-256, Figures C-1, C-2, E-1, E-6, E-7, E-8, E-9,
E-14, Tables C-1, C-2, E-1, E-6, E-7, E-8, E-9, E-14)

50-50 Transitional bilingual education students who
were former ELLs, provided with 50 percent instruction
in English and 50 percent instruction in Spanish for
3-4 years, followed by immersion in the English
mainstream, reached the 47th NCE (45th percentile) by
the end of 11th grade. (pp. 112-114, 126-127, Figures
C-1, C-2, Tables C-1, C-2)

90-10 Transitional bilingual education students who
were former ELLs reached the 40th NCE (32nd
percentile) by the end of 5th grade. (In 90-10 TBE,
for Grades PK-2, 90 percent of instruction is in the
minority language, gradually increasing English
instruction until by Grade 5, all instruction is in
the English mainstream for the remainder of
schooling.) (pp. 119-122, Figure C-8, Table C-7)

50-50 One-way developmental bilingual education
students who were former ELLs reached the 62nd NCE
(72nd percentile) after 4 years of bilingual schooling
in two high-achieving school districts, outperforming
their comparison ELL group schooled all in English by
15 NCEs (almost 3/4 of a national standard deviation—a
very large significant difference). By 7th grade,
these bilingually schooled former ELLs were still
above grade level at the 56th NCE (61st percentile).
(One-way is one language group being schooled through
two languages.) (pp. 48-52, 58, Figures A-1, A-3,
Tables A-5, A-6)

90-10 One-way developmental bilingual education
students who were former ELLs reached the 41st NCE
(34th percentile) by the end of 5th grade. (90-10
means that for Grades PK-2, 90 percent of instruction
is in the minority language, gradually increasing
English instruction to 50 percent by Grade 5, and a
DBE program continues both languages in secondary
school.) (pp. 119-122, Figure C-8, Table C-7)

50-50 Two-way bilingual immersion students who were
former ELLs attending a high-poverty, high-mobility
school: 58 percent met or exceeded Oregon state
standards in English reading by the end of 3rd and 5th
grades. (Two-way is two language groups receiving
integrated schooling through their two languages;
50-50 is 50 percent instruction in English and 50
percent in the minority language.) (pp. 201-204,
Figures D-4, D-6, Table D-18)

90-10 Two-way bilingual immersion students who were
former ELLs performed above grade level in English in
Grades 1-5, completing 5th grade at the 51st NCE (51st
percentile), significantly outperforming their
comparison groups in 90-10 transitional bilingual
education and 90-10 developmental bilingual education.
(pp. 119-121, Figure C-8, Table C-7)