[NIFL-ESL:9291] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Andres Muro (AndresM@epcc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 14:00:52 EDT

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:00:52 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Andres Muro" <AndresM@epcc.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9291] Re: Accept English Only donation?

How about taking the money, and during your acceptance speech explain why English only is absurd. They may take the money away, but you may get some converts.

Andres

>>> kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us 08/28/03 11:03AM >>>
Oh, yikes!

That's a rough one.  I think I would politely and regretfully decline the
donation. It was somewhat underhanded of the English Only organization to
expect her to stand forth in that way.

Naturally, the community expects an ESL teacher to encourage use of English
in the immigrant community.  What bothers me about many in the English Only
movement is that they see it as an opportunity to send unwelcoming messages
to newcomers.  They use promotion of North American culture and the English
language to devalue other languages and cultures.

To be seen accepting a donation in such a public manner could be perceived in
so many ways.  There will be misconceptions that this teacher accepts not
only the overt message of the English Only movement, but the anti-immigrant
rumblings of the lunatic fringe.