[NIFL-ESL:9275] Re: idioms

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 20:12:35 EDT

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:12:35 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9275] Re: idioms

There was a discussion on another list I'm on about "pig in a poke," and it
turns out that a "poke" is a kind of bag or sack. So buying a pig in a poke
means you can't really see the pig because it's hidden inside the sack. Not
a good idea. (Then had a big discussion about the difference between "bag"
and "sack," but that's another story.)

The saying "Some respite to husbands the weather may send, But housewives'
affairs have never an end" sounds like the one I learned as "Man works from
dawn to setting sun, but woman's work is never done." Interesting that both
of them rhyme and both have the same message, though phrased differently.

Sylvan Rainwater   .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission/Head Start
Oregon City, Oregon