[NIFL-ESL:9255] Re: idioms

From: Jillian Stanley (zazee27@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 18:47:24 EDT

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:47:24 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jillian Stanley <zazee27@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9255] Re: idioms

Very interesting research about the source of the
"rolling stone" proverb!

Books of quotations, as well as the Oxford English
Dictionary, often seek to find the earliest extant
written instance of a word (or in this case, a
proverb).  We cannot necessarily assume that the
author quoted *invented* the word or phrase in
question.  In this case, it may be that Thomas Tusser
endeavored to put popular sayings into poetic form.
(You didn't give a date, but he must have lived
300-plus years ago.)

Sometimes the verse form "sticks."  For example, we
still say, "Early to bed and early to rise, makes a
man healthy, wealthy, and wise," as Benjamin Franklin
wrote over two centuries ago.  But more often, these
authors of clever "quips" (as we might call them now)
are forgotten.  Who nowadays has heard of Thomas
Tusser?

Sometimes the author is anonymous, as in the nursery
rhyme that begins, "If wishes were turnips, beggars
would ride." Who knows whether the saying came first,
and the rest of the poem came later, or whether an
anonymous writer created the entire idea?  (I suspect
the former is the truth.)

P.S.  For those of you (for shame!) without a copy of
The Real Mother Goose handy, here is the verse to
which I refer:

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride,
If watches were turnips, I'd wear one by my side;
And if Ifs and Ands were pots and pans,
There'd be no work for tinkers."