[NIFL-ESL:9249] type of degree necessary

From: pruett said (said@ameritech.net)
Date: Sat Aug 02 2003 - 10:52:45 EDT

Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "pruett said" <said@ameritech.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9249] type of degree necessary

A few days ago a lister asked what kind of degree might be best to get if
she wanted to be the coordinator of a program. I waited for some answers but
since I haven't seen any, I'll post my answer. It all depends on who is
doing the hiring. Some places want a "TESOL" degree, and if they don't see
that on the transcript, you won't be considered. Others want an education
degree, others won't consider you if you have an education degree. Some
places want someone with an applied linguistics degree, other places want an
English degree. For example, I work in two different programs now. In the
first program, which is run by a public school district, I'm required to
have K-12 certification (even though I teach adults) though it doesn't
matter what field. However, English (not necessarily ESL) is the preferred
certification. In the second program, the coordinator announced that she
preferred to hire people with applied linguistics degrees. However, most of
her staff (myself included) have degrees in an educational field including
adult education.  That program is located in a community college. Another
community college where I applied for an adjunct position told me they
didn't hire people with education degrees. In other jobs I've held, it
seemed my experience was the most important qualification, although in most
of them I had to have a Master's in some field. I'd say if you know where
you want to work, find out what they prefer and go that route. . Otherwise
it is pretty much a gamble. However, you could take some courses in all of
these areas to have your bases covered. Good luck in your endeavor.

Theresa (Terry) Pruett-Said
ESL instructor
metro Detroit area