[NIFL-ESL:9242] Re: hello

From: Ujwala Samant (usamant@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jul 25 2003 - 00:00:12 EDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ujwala Samant" <usamant@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9242] Re: hello

Maurice, hello,

>>Hindi is a fascinating language.  I had the privilege of living & studying
in Benares (Varanasi) for six
months as an undergraduate.  The official language of India, it's actually
just one among a host of others in
the subcontinent (more accurate I think than "country").  I personally view
all languages equally - even
isolated dialects are rich, systematic, and complex - and perfectly serve
the needs of the people who speak
them. <<

They are seen as equal. All official documents are in at least 2 languages.
Station names are usually written in three (regional, Hindi and English). To
me it's the dialects and patois that have also been very interesting, given
that I grew up listening to my father switch between Malvani, Marathi,
Hindi, English and of course when he really wanted to confound us, Russian!
Unfortunately, the only script I know is Devanagari, used by Sanskrit, Hindi
and Marathi. I can understand some written Gujarati because of the
similarities between scripts, but Telugu could be Greek or Cyrillic as far
as I am concerned!

regards
Ujwala Samant