[NIFL-ESL:9230] Re: writing in esl

From: Mona Curtis (MCurtis@tvcc.cc)
Date: Tue Jul 22 2003 - 11:30:30 EDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:30:30 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Mona Curtis" <MCurtis@tvcc.cc>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9230] Re: writing in esl

Thank you all for your imput.  I'll tell you what I've done.  I looked
at the paragraphs the students wrote and grouped them into groups of 2
or 3 that had some of the same problems.  One group is working on topic
sentences, another group is working on run on sentences, another group
is working on puncturation.  For each group, I've made some worksheets
dealing with that particular problem.  They are to work together on the
worksheets and then correct their paragraphs.  I can "float" between the
groups helping as necessary.  The most important thing I've learned from
your comments and from my experience in the classroom is to concentrate
on one major thing rather than trying to do it all at once.  Thanks for
your help.

>>> SHUMPHRI@serve.org 07/21/03 07:43AM >>>
Mona,

I would suggest that where you would start would depend on the goals of
the course and this individual's goals. with that said, I'll give you my
thoughts.

It seems to me that, if this writing were spoken, most of us could
understand what the speaker is trying to say. I think that point may be
part of this person's problem....that he/she knows enough to be
understood and so may not have as much motivation/need to pay attention
to form. This seems pretty common when people learn a language outside
of a classroom setting.

I would suggest doing what classroom instruction seems to do best:
bring some of these problematic forms to the learner's attention and
give him/her structured instruction and practice. Also, expose the
learner to "literary" and "academic" forms (via reading good literature
on the learner's level) that one simply can't access via spoken
language.

As you help this person, you may want to think in terms of major errors
and minor errors. Which errors are most important? Focus on those first.
Which ones can slide for now? Focus on those later. In my opinion, the
major concepts to deal with are:

Print awareness —- notion of what a sentence is, how to segment
writing

Past tense —- easier to "hear" when a vowel follows  disappeared
because  vs. disappeared on Monday

The minor errors are:

Double negatives —- the learner is writing what he/she hears. Losing
double negatives will come with awareness that literary English employs
different conventions from spoken English

Spelling —-- there's lots of good news here. This person is on board
in terms of phonemic awareness and phonics. True, the spelling is hardly
conventional, but I think it will get there, given exposure to print and
focused, strategic instruction.

As for instruction, you might think about beginning with language
experience stories (explained in Literacy Volunteers of America
handbooks). This would give this individual a good sense of how speaking
and writing are similar/different.

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

>>> "Mona Curtis" <MCurtis@tvcc.cc> 07/19/03 08:47PM >>>
Dear Gail, et al,

A few months ago, I shared with the listserve that I was preparing to
teach a writing couse for Head Start teachers, all of whose first
language is Spanish, are very fluent in spoken English, and have
varying
skills in written English.  The class is called writing 90 which,at
Treasure Valley Community, is college-prep.  The purpose of the class
is
to prepare them for college-level Writing 121.  Some will be ready
after
this class;  Others may have to take writing 95 and possible writng
115.
 I will share with you, verbatim, a paragraph.  I would like to know
what other people on the listserve think would be the best way to help
this individual.

Maria left se fue.  One time a Maria disapper because her hasbend
treat
her very bad Maria decider to left to onother place, she don't said
nothing to nobody her hasbund coming from work and he was looking for
Maria He look everywere and he don't find her.  Marias hasband givi
the
information to his neighbor.  if someone see Maria but noby give
information Maria tell her friend not to ask for her. or look for her.
because she is goin to another place.

Mona Curtis
ESL Coordinator
Treasure Valley Community College