[NIFL-ESL:9190] Re: ESL resources and teacher development

From: mjankowska@alphaplus.ca
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 09:28:40 EDT

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: mjankowska@alphaplus.ca
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9190] Re: ESL resources and teacher development

Dear Valley,

My name is Monika and I work for Centre AlphaPlus Centre, a resource centre for
adult learners, in Toronto, Canada. We have a library collection here and sell
resources for ESL and Literacy field. You might want to checkout a software
program called Reading in the Workplace. It provides job-related passages for
workplace readiness programs.
(Automotive, Health Care, Food Service, Construction, Electronics, Clerical).

Students achieve mastery of job-related reading through these vocabulary-rich
stories.
On-the-job photography and striking graphics combine with interactive computer
techniques
to provide a meaningful work-based experience. Students get immediate feedback,
reinforcement and further instruction if necessary. Each program has three
progressive levels of
reading difficult allowing your students to increase their reading ability to
the point of understanding
 technical manuals, printed instructions, written orders, and memos.

Level: low-intermediate to advanced.

Occupations include: Automotive, Health Care, Food Service, Construction,
Electronics, Clerical.

Automotive:
Reading for assembling complex mechanisms, new systems, technical skills,
general trade information and more.

Health Care:
Understanding medical terminology, hospital and home care, emergency and safety
procedures, doctor's orders, counseling instructions and more.

Food Service:
Understanding different types of foods, preparation, practices, safety and much
more.

Construction:
Reading technical instructions, installation procedures, safety warning,
maintenance directions and more.

Electronics:
Reading and understanding electrical terminology, procedures, safety and more.

Clerical:
Reading job descriptions, computer documentation, technical skills, notes, memos
 and more.

SERIES FEATURES :
Self-paced story screens followed by multiple-choice questions.
Units address: Main Idea, Details, Inference, Conclusion, Contextual Vocabulary,
 Sequencing, Recognizing Problems, and Determining Cause & Effect.
Built-in spoken glossary.
Help Option defines skills.

SERIES APPLICATIONS :
Each job area has 40+ reproducible Activity Masters for reinforcement.
Learn terms found in real-life work situations to improve vocabulary and
comprehension skills.
Excellent for ESL programs.

We also carry a book called Nursing in a New Language which is specifically
designed to improve learner's vocabulary in this field.

If you have any questions or would like to learn how to order those products,
please feel free to contact me at mjankowska@alphaplus.ca

I hope that this helps,

Monika J.

Valley Peters <valleydemt@yahoo.com> on 07/14/2003 04:57:59 PM