[NIFL-ESL:9179] Re: Women learners

From: Yvonne Lerew (ylerew@lsssd.org)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 11:48:19 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:48:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Yvonne Lerew <ylerew@lsssd.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9179] Re: Women learners

I am also very interested in this question.  In my experience, adult women
immigrants study more English in a classroom setting, however adult men use
English more at work and in the community so that after a few years the men
equal or exceed the women in terms of conversational English skills.

Another factor that may be important is that most teachers (in our program,
all of the teachers) are women.  Would male teachers be better able to
provide relevant lessons for male students?  Do the sorts of interactions
that male students have, such as in all-male working environments like
construction, get equal treatment in ESL classrooms?  Is the language
and/or culturally appropriate behaviors in all-male interactions
substantially different than in mixed groups or all-female groups?  I have
looked for some research on this but have not found much.  Any ideas would
be welcome.

Thanks,
Yvonne Lerew