[NIFL-ESL:8859] Re: a multi-level workforce curriculum

From: Emily Wong (Emily.Wong@spl.org)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:36:28 EST

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:36:28 -0800
From: "Emily Wong" <Emily.Wong@spl.org>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8859] Re: a multi-level workforce curriculum

Libby,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I"m interested to know who
is the publisher for English for All, and what is your evaluation of
this program?

Emily

>>> libbyadams@hotmail.com 03/25/03 07:57PM >>>

Hello all,

I am currently teaching a daily 3-hour multi-level Pre-Employment
English
course for adults and have been using the video/online curriculum,
English
For All.  I'm having trouble 'grading' the activities so that each of
the
levels' needs are covered and are interesting and challenging to the
learners.

Actually, I'm feeling worn out by my attempts to accommodate all the
levels.
(low beginners to high intermediates) In addition to the multiple
levels,
the program has open enrollment and VERY busy learners so I rarely have
the
"same class" two days in a row!  Sound familiar?!

I don't feel a need to completely do away with English For All, but I'd
like
to supplement the curriculum with a more structured, multi-leveled,
workforce based text that has self-contained chapters we could complete
in
about a week's time if at all possible.  In other words, the PERFECT
TEXT!!
Or something close to it.     <smile>

My questions for you are:  Have any of you used Prentice Hall's
WORKSKILLS
1-3 books & audio tapes in a multi-level class with any success?  If
yes,
how so?  What other texts might fulfill my criteria?  What strategies
have
you used to stay sane in a situation like mine?

I'll thank you for your responses in advance!

Libby Adams
Workforce English Instructor
Hubbs Center for Lifelong Learning
St. Paul, Minnesota