[NIFL-ESL:8770] Re: RE: NIFL's Policy

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 17:45:40 EST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:45:40 -0800
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8770] Re: RE: NIFL's Policy

At 05:30 PM 03/06/2003 -0500, Julie Whittemore wrote:
><SNIP>
>If nothing else, it's a way to take this looooong discussion about the
>listserve and censorship back to talking about what we all signed up to
>get; discussion on how to teach our students.

I think we've actually had a lot of discussion about teaching throughout
all of this. Every e-mail list I'm on has had at least some discussion
about the war (and then discussion about the discussion), and often
feelings run high. This is regardless of the focus of the list, because the
issue of war affects us all in a lot of ways. On this list, I've seen a lot
of interesting viewpoints about whether or not to talk "politics" in the
classroom, and if so how; how to use real situations facing students as
lesson materials; not to mention that basic issue of ground rules. We have
them in the classroom (I assume), and we have them on lists. We are
involved in creating culture wherever we are.

We teach many things not reflected on our lesson plans. We teach values by
walking into the classroom and in everything we do. We can try to keep our
own political views or personal lives private, but it all comes through in
some ways.

Sylvan Rainwater  .   Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission / Head Start
Oregon City, OR USA    .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org