[NIFL-ESL:8699] War in and out of a listserv

From: Richard Russell (richtiger@cableone.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 22:57:00 EST

From: "Richard Russell" <richtiger@cableone.net>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8699] War in and out of a listserv
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 21:57:00 -0600

I just now joined the nifl-esl listserv and am interested to have come in on
the tail end (?) of a "heated political discussion" involving "diatribes"
and people who are "too lazy" to defend their views.

While I personally enjoy political discussions, I also believe it's a
mistake to get involved in such an interchange on a listserv whose topic is
"English as a Second Language."

I used to participate very heavily in the FL TEACH listserv; but finally
withdrew as some of my more opinionated, off-topic posts were rejected.  I
don't like any of my "pearls of wisdom" to disappear into cyberspace and
much prefer a listserv and its participants to stick to the topic of the
forum.  That way, I'm not tempted to send off argumentative posts.  I stick
to the topic--in this case ESL--and am not disappointed when my messages are
either censored or are responded to discourteously.

Well, my next post, when I find time, will be "dead on" target as I plan to
talk about how I'm currently teaching reading to elementary ESL students.

But that's all for now, as I've used up writing time that would have been
better spent on how I'm using video to give my students context before their
reading.

Best Wishes,
Richard Russell
richtiger@cableone.net