[NIFL-ESL:8643] Re: Re: Impending Attack on Iraq

From: Ken Todd (kentodd@UDel.Edu)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 23:40:18 EST

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:40:18 -0500
From: Ken Todd <kentodd@UDel.Edu>
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8643] Re: Re: Impending Attack on Iraq

This response comes with a regrettable delay. While the comment about
Orwellian was not framed in a pedagogical perspective, it certainly
touches on a genuine educational concern for ESL literacy.
	I teach reading in a community college ESL program. That setting makes
us the high-price option in our community. Accordingly, the students are
largely people with college educations in their native countries. By the
time they reach my class, they are in ESL terms advanced-beginners, but
have, obviously, exercise considerable literacy skills in their own
languages.
	The course content focuses on American culture and history. For the
past 12 semesters, every semester without exception, the students have
posed the question: Why is there no dissent in the American media? If
the press is free why do they not exercise that freedom?
	As strongly as the American media strikes these immigrants as
homegneous, I would not dismiss their view.