[NIFL-ESL:8606] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: AWilder106@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 20:55:36 EST

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:55:36 -0500
From: AWilder106@aol.com
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov, nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8606] Re: RE: War as a cross-cultural issue

Well, maybe Joe Biden is more your cup of tea:

"Sen.Joseph R Biden Jr. (D-Del.), attacking what he said was the document's emphasis on unilateral action, ridiculed it as 'literally a Pax Americana....It won't work.  You can be the world superpower and still be unable to maintain peace throughout the world.'"

But whether either one, Byrd or Biden, appeals to you is not the point I think. And the fact that Byrd once belonged to the Klan (when?)is surely about American politics and how political figures change or not. I'd use it in the classroom.

To me it is fascinating that Wolfowitz and Cheney are having a  second act with Bush 2, running on the same foreign relations policies.  And if I were teaching now this would be part of the curriculum, also the use of newspapers and web for information.

Andrea