[NIFL-ESL:9102] Re: Prison aid

From: John Nissen (jn@tommy.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 06:31:21 EDT

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:31:21 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: jn@tommy.demon.co.uk (John Nissen)
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9102] Re: Prison aid

Hello Elsa,

WordAloud does allow a sentence-at-a-time display as well as
word-at-a-time.  (Toggle between them using '#'.)  We find
that the main advantage is for none of the things you mention,
but for post-review, i.e. viewing the whole sentence that has
just been read a word at a time.

You raise an issue as how one learns to read.  Personally I
believe in the phonics approach, and there is no substitute
for getting the student to concentrate on the decoding process.
This is where the word-at-a-time display comes into its own.
It is the closest analogue to spoken speech, so can be regarded
as the most 'natural' way to present speech in a visual form!
The saccadian eye movements are avoided, as is skipping from the
end of one line to the beginning of the next.  Thus the
student has minimum distractions from the decoding process.

BTW, it is possible to read very rapidly this way - called RSVP
(rapid serial visual presentation).

In WordAloud you can synchronise the display to synthesised
speech (currently British English only), so that, as one strategy,
the "pre-reading" can be done to allow a student to get the
general meaning by themselves.  Then you can switch off the
speech, and go into 'collect' mode.  When there is a difficult
word, you can click on the word, and it is automatically put
in a word list, for subsequent revision, e.g. at the end of a
reading session.  This feature is a boon for ESL.

Regards,

John

P.S.  There is a loose-leaf book on the "Top Marks" phonics method,
supported by WordAloud, price $29.
--

--
Access the word, access the world! -- Try our WordAloud software!!

John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)
Fax:   +44 (0) 20 8742 8715
Web:   http://www.cloudworld.co.uk