[NIFL-ESL:9032] Re: Journalist Query re New York City Programs

From: el (el33@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 16:00:15 EDT

Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: el <el33@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9032] Re: Journalist Query re New York City Programs

Debbie,
I saved this email a long time ago in hopes of replying.  I don't think I
did but I'm not sure.  I wanted to let you know that we have a large
influx of immigrants in the greater boston area and face some of the same
issues.  If you're still working on this and mean to expand the story
beyond New York, I can provide the contact information of our Fenway
Program coodinator.  This particular program is often at risk of losing
its funding.

Ethan
--- debbie@citylimits.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a writer with City Limits, a monthly magazine in New York City
> that deals with local political, social and cultural issues. I'm
> interested in doing a story about an ESL program in any of the NYC
> boroughs where teachers and students -- possibly or probably in an
> ESL-Civics program -- are actively and consciously expanding the
> notion of citizenship by engaging with community issues that affect
> the students' lives and communities. The other day I was at a City
> Council hearing where elderly ESL students came and spoke -- in
> English -- to defend a citywide ESL program at senior centers that
> has just been defunded. Again, I'm looking for teachers/programs
> where this kind of activity is constantly and consciously nurtured.
> I'd love to talk to students and teachers who have new things to say
> about English learning in the context of expanding the notion of
> citizenship.
>
> If anyone here knows people in NYC who'd like to talk to a reporter,
> please let me know who they are and how to contact them.
>
> Thanks!
> Debbie Nathan
> Senior Editor
> City Limits
> (212) 479-3341
>

> This email has been scanned for known viruses and made safe for viewing
> by CFXHosting, a leading email and web hosting provider. For more
> information on an anti-virus email solution, visit
> http://www.cfxhosting.com/av.cfm

=====
Ethan Leonard
Work Telephone: (617)927-8244, Fax: (617) 425-0296
Home Telephone: (617)983-3557, Fax: (208)567-6073