[NIFL-ESL:8985] Using Videos w/Low Beginning Learners

From: Tnahim@aol.com
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 12:09:56 EDT

Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:09:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Tnahim@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8985] Using Videos w/Low Beginning Learners

Hello Everyone,
  I am an instructor at a local New York County Community College in the ESL program. Has anyone had success with using closed captioned TV and/or commercials with low level ESL learners? I am teaching several groups of Level 1 learners during the Summer Session and would like to go beyond the standard fare. While there is a wealth of information on how to implement this procedure, I would welcome a "non-pedagogical" response. (What worked, what really worked, what didn't, how you did it, hand outs, etc).
  Please respond to me off-list. Any and all help, comments, etc., are welcome and appreciated.
  Thank you.
Terri Nahim
tnahim@aol.com