[NIFL-ESL:8982] Re: poetry list

From: olivia durham (odurham@integrity.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 23:44:10 EDT

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 23:44:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "olivia durham" <odurham@integrity.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8982] Re: poetry list

I think the key to poetry is that students instinctively know they should
talk about something significant.

Here is a real heartbreaker by a Rebeca Pacheco, 19 year old Mexican girl on
a CAMP scholarship (her father is a  migrant worker)

Where did you go mom?
Why did you disappear?
You leave me alone,
Nobody knows where you went,
But they said that your soul is still here,
I do not see it,
They say, "It can not be seen with the eyes,
You just need to feel it,"
But I do not want to feel it,
I want to see you mom,
For the first time in my life.