[NIFL-ESL:8954] English immersion

From: Esther Perez (perezapple@bellsouth.net)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 14:02:32 EDT

Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:02:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Esther Perez <perezapple@bellsouth.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8954] English immersion

Dear Colleagues:

I've just been hired to teach an English immersion class for college
students for 4 weeks.  It will be starting immediately, so yes any
suggestions will be welcome.

My plan is to focus on US cultural topics and teach pronunciation while
I'm doing it.  Each week we'll be learning a new patriotic song.  The
first week we'll be looking at US citizenship and what it takes to
become a citizen introduced by Woody Guthrie's "This land is your land."

I remember some time ago someone passed a website that was useful in
teaching literacy as well as citizenship preparation.  Does anyone still
have it?

The 2nd week I thought we'd look at the American Revolution, Declaration
of Independence and sing "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

The 3rd and 4th week are still unplanned, but I thought I'd finish up
with some discussion of immigration and Ellis Island.

There are 14  students in the class, 4 basic and 10 intermediate>

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

Esther Perez-Apple