[NIFL-ESL:8923] Re: ESL writing, composition [high

From: Janet Isserlis (Janet_Isserlis@brown.edu)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 00:13:35 EDT

Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 00:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Janet Isserlis <Janet_Isserlis@brown.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8923] Re: ESL writing, composition [high

Dear all

the recent posting of ERIC documents makes the following all the more
important.  Apologies to those for whom this is a cross-posting.

Janet Isserlis

Dear all

The following outlines an effort to preserve the ERIC clearinghouses
-- a resource for many of us in adult ed - and for others in K-12 and
higher ed.

Please consider acting on this request for assistance, and/or check
the websites at the bottom of the page to learn more about the issue.
As well, attached is a letter I've sent , if you'd like to adapt it
to your own context.

thank you

best,

Janet

To: AUTIP-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  To the education and library communities,

The Draft Statement of Work detailing proposed changes to the ERIC
system has been out since April 10th.
(http://www.eps.gov/spg/ED/OCFO/CPO/Reference-Number-ERIC2003/listing.html)
I have had time to read it carefully and discuss it with knowledgeable
colleagues, including some of the folks at the ERIC Clearinghouses.  I
think it's time for me to synthesize what I think I know and make
recommendations. This letter is necessarily long; please bear with me.

I'll begin by saying I hope you all will send multiple letters about
this issue.  You could write a formal reply to the Statement of Work to
Jeff Halstead, and then copy the reply to your Congressional
representatives, perhaps adding a note about your concern that this
proposal is so radical. Even if you are not from Massachusetts or
Maryland I hope you will also copy Senators Kennedy and Mikulski, who
are reportedly monitoring the response. Secretary of Education Rod Paige
would be another good candidate.  (All contact information is available
at http://www.lib.msu.edu/corby/education/eric/clearinghouse.htm )  Do
this individually and in groups as Departments, Colleges and consortia.
Every effort is needed.  You are welcome to freely crib from this and
any other material I have written on the subject. (
http://www.lib.msu.edu/corby/education/eric/openletters.htm )  There is
also a model letter available. ( http://www.saveeric.org/letter.htm )

The two aspects of the Statement of Work that are most troubling to me
are the elimination of the Clearinghouses and the downgrades in the
quality of the indexing for the ERIC database.

CLEARINGHOUSE ELIMINATION

The Clearinghouses were established 35+ years ago at centers of
expertise in their various specialties.  In the intervening years that
expertise has grown exponentially, both with respect to the subjects
each Clearinghouse covers and in knowledge of the kinds of information
or knowledge access questions that the particular subject generates.
The ERIC Clearinghouses are the most widely utilized education
information resource currently provided by the Department of Education.
They respond to over 150,000 emails and phone calls annually from users
seeking education related information. AskERIC was a revolutionary
service when it was first developed.  Many doubted the feasibility of
the concept.  Any user could write or call and get a personalized
bibliography to answer any education related question. Now many
libraries provide similar services and most folks in education have used
AskERIC on more than one occasion.  The Clearinghouses also produce web
pages, specialized databases like the Test Locator, and publications on
current research, programs and practices.

To replace these services the Department of Education proposes to
centralize indexing and user response.  The new ERIC will rely on three
people from each Clearinghouse subject area who will meet once to help
decide what journals and what sources of papers to index for the
database. Beyond that one meeting the advisors will be expected to offer
suggestions and monitor needs electronically.  Expertise in the wider
scope of each subject area will be lost, as will the exemplary user
assistance to which the contact statistics clearly attest.

The Department has begun work on a centralized clearinghouse, the What
Works Clearinghouse that will be a dissemination center for information
about educational research. What Works will evaluate completed research
on seven or eight topics each year and make these completed "Evidence
Reports" available to the public on the Web.  The government's decision
to emphasize evaluation of practice information for teachers and
administrators should not come at the cost of their most successful
outreach program.  The idea, implicit but not clearly stated in this
move, is that the broad dissemination of education information is not
helpful.  That teachers and administrators are merely confused by the
wealth of information, and researchers do not need the analysis and
synthesis the Clearinghouses provide.  As if to prove this point, in
January the Department removed from its web page a link to the
preeminent synthesis documents of the ERIC Clearinghouses, the ERIC
Digests, despite the fact that use figures showed they were the most
heavily used items on the page.

INDEXING CHANGES

Looking beyond the loss of the Clearinghouses, the Statement of Work
proposes changes to the indexing procedures for ERIC that are likely to
have a significant negative impact on the quality of the database. The
new contractor is directed to use author provided abstracts and indexing
as much as possible.  They are also required to use automatic indexing.
There will
be an in-depth review of the Thesaurus.   Effective consistent indexing
is
not a job for novices. Authors will lack sufficient distance from the
subject to be able to accurately place their submissions within
appropriate subject headings.  Inconsistency or decreased specificity in
the indexing process will have a detrimental effect on search retrieval
making the database an unreliable resource.

Perhaps more troubling, the statement of work gives no indication of how
extensive the new ERIC database will be.  It mandates that all selected
journals will be indexed comprehensively. There will be a panel of
content experts to decide which journals are selected. Currently the
database indexes about 400 journals comprehensively, but it covers more
than a 1,000 by selecting only the education related articles from a
wide range of scholarly journals.  The new ERIC may not be able to reach
so broadly, and in so limiting itself will also limit its utility.
Journals are not the only area where content will be limited.  The panel
of experts will also be asked to decide upon approved sources of
non-journal materials.  This limited list of possible sources may make
it possible for the contractor to construct the database without the
expertise currently employed, but the product cannot avoid being
significantly weakened.

Advocates of this new ERIC have repeatedly used the medical model.  They
point to PubMed as a successful example of government outreach that
serves researchers, practitioners, and the general public with health
information. PubMed also includes specific professional indexing of a
huge number of information sources and clear divisions of content areas
for its different constituencies.  These are the factors that make it a
success.  The Department of Education cannot hope to produce an
exemplary product without high quality data.

DEADLINES

We have until May 9th to respond.  Please help in any way you can.
Contact me for further information as the need arises.

Greta Vollmer, Asst. Professor   Sonoma State University
Dept. of English   1801 E. Cotati Ave.
Phone: (707) 664-2504   Rohnert Park, CA  94928-3609
Fax:  (707) 664-4400
greta.vollmer@sonoma.edu

also see:
   http://www.lib.msu.corby/education/doe.htm