[NIFL-ESL:8857] a multi-level workforce curriculum

From: libby adams (libbyadams@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 22:59:30 EST

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:59:30 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "libby adams" <libbyadams@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8857] a multi-level workforce curriculum

Hello all,

I am currently teaching a daily 3-hour multi-level Pre-Employment English
course for adults and have been using the video/online curriculum, English
For All.  I'm having trouble 'grading' the activities so that each of the
levels' needs are covered and are interesting and challenging to the
learners.

Actually, I'm feeling worn out by my attempts to accommodate all the levels.
(low beginners to high intermediates) In addition to the multiple levels,
the program has open enrollment and VERY busy learners so I rarely have the
"same class" two days in a row!  Sound familiar?!

I don't feel a need to completely do away with English For All, but I'd like
to supplement the curriculum with a more structured, multi-leveled,
workforce based text that has self-contained chapters we could complete in
about a week's time if at all possible.  In other words, the PERFECT TEXT!!
Or something close to it.     <smile>

My questions for you are:  Have any of you used Prentice Hall's WORKSKILLS
1-3 books & audio tapes in a multi-level class with any success?  If yes,
how so?  What other texts might fulfill my criteria?  What strategies have
you used to stay sane in a situation like mine?

I'll thank you for your responses in advance!

Libby Adams
Workforce English Instructor
Hubbs Center for Lifelong Learning
St. Paul, Minnesota